This report is from a trip down to Burlington, NC on July 3, 2002.
Hi gang....took a brief trip from Norfolk to Burlington, NC to visit a friend
for the 4th...left eveningtime on the 3rd. Not a whole lot going on along the
trip, but a few notes worth mentioning:
- Prior to leaving, I stopped at the VDOT SmarTraffic center and picked up a bunch of the new 2002-04 Virginia state highway maps. I can mail off spare copies to anyone interested (let me know via E-mail).
- Took a little different route out of Norfolk, via the Midtown Tunnel, Western Freeway, and out VA 337 to VA 125 (mostly to collect additional state highway end pics).
- VA 125/King's Highway has a very old (and narrow) swing-span drawbridge over the Nansemond River. There's been some talk about a replacement span, but VDOT's recent money woes have shelved the project.
- Interestingly, VDOT uses "NO Passing Zone" pennant signs to mark no passing zones along the 2-lane portion of VA 10/32 in Suffolk.
- Some more resurfacing of westbound lanes along US 58 between Courtland and Emporia.
- Caught a thunderstorm just east of Emporia....was in and out of boomers from there 'til I cleared Henderson on I-85.
- Not sure if this has been reported before, but all lanes are open now on US 58 over I-95, so the overpass has apparently been fixed from when the overheight truck hit it some months back.
- Construction on I-85 near Oxford....southbound drops to a single lane just past Exit 209 (Exit 209 is the detour exit for wide loads)...looks like pavement rehab and also a bridge rehab. Then, about 3/4 mile north of US 158/Exit 206, all traffic moves to the northbound lanes for about 2 miles. Southbound ramps at US 158/Exit 206 are closed (couldn't tell if northbound was open or not).
That's about it....plan on taking a more "roundabout" way on the way back.
Back to the Roadtrip Report Archive
Back to Magnolia Meanderings
(C) 2007, Adam Froehlig